Leave of Absence for Staff


The Leave of Absence Coordinator provides staff employees with guidance and counseling on leave entitlements, pay options, and resources.

Type of Leave When to request this leave?

Medical Leave

Leave is needed for your OWN health condition.

Non-Medical Leave

To care for a family member with a serious health condition

Parental Leave/ Baby bonding for the birth/ placement/ adoption of a child

Personal Leave

Military related Leave

Bereavement/ Death of a Family Member

Other non-medical leaves

Pregnancy/ Maternity Leave

Leave is needed due to pregnancy-related incapacity, prenatal care and/or birth.

Catastrophic Leave Sharing Program Request

Absence from work creates a catastrophic financial situation and donated vacation hours are requested.

Workers’ Compensation

Leave is needed due to a work-related injury. Please contact Workers’ Compensation 

Please note: To request vacation please contact your supervisor/department representative responsible for coordinating vacation requests.

Requesting a Leave of Absence

Request Leave

When you click the link (above) to request leave you will be redirected to the HR ServiceNow portal. To help us provide you with effective and timely customer service, please login to the secure portal using your UCSBNetID and password.

If you do not know your UCSBNetID and/or password, or are unable to login, please contact the ETSC service center at: http://etsc.ucsb.edu or call (805) 893-5000.

Academic Leaves

Leaves for Academic titles are administered through Academic Personnel: https://ap.ucsb.edu

Workers' Compensation

The leave of absence information described here is NOT applicable to a work-related injury. When a leave of absence is needed because of a work-related injury, please contact Workers’ Compensation

Any information on this site should be read concurrently with the Personnel Policies for Staff Members (PPSM) or appropriate Collective Bargaining Agreement. If you have additional questions after reviewing the material, please contact the Leave of Absence Coordinator.