Welcome to the Career Tracks home page!
Career Tracks Training - Employees
Career Tracks Training Presentations (pdf and video)
Career Tracks General Employee Training:
There were 10 training sessions during April 2018. If you missed the general employee training, please refer to the pdf or recorded version of the training in the link above.
Employee Drop-In Sessions:
Employees can "drop-in" and meet with a Compensation Analyst one-on-one to ask questions and learn more about Career Tracks. These are consultation meetings only - no decisions will be made regarding requested title changes. Consultations will be by first-come, first-served basis and will be limited to 15 minutes per employee if other employees are waiting.
Employee Special Trainings - FLSA Status Change (By Invitation Only):
The following in-person sessions provide you with information on how these changes will affect you, and will give you the opportunity to ask questions. Space is limited, so registration through the UC Learning Center is required. Visit https://www.learningcenter.ucsb.edu/ and search for "Employee Special Training – FLSA Changes" to register.
*Webinar Information: Pre-registration for the Webinars is not required.
• Webinar 5/10/18 (9-10:30am): Webinar ID 477 202 133, https://ucsb.zoom.us/j/477202133
• Webinar 5/14/18 (1:30-3:00pm): Webinar ID 431 539 599, https://ucsb.zoom.us/j/431539599
Employee Special Training - Transition to a Represented Title (By Invitation Only):
The following in-person sessions provide you with information on how these changes will affect you, and will give you the opportunity to ask questions. Space is limited, so registration through the UC Learning Center is required. Visit https://www.learningcenter.ucsb.edu/ and search for "Employee Special Training – Transition to Represented Titles" to register.
*Webinar Information: Pre-registration for the Webinars is not required.
• Webinar 5/11/18 (10:30am-12pm): Webinar ID 525 161 412, https://ucsb.zoom.us/j/525161412
• Webinar 5/17/18 (10-11:30am): Webinar ID 124 606 712, https://ucsb.zoom.us/j/124606712
Career Tracks Training - Control Points and Managers
Implementation Briefing for Control Points and Managers (COMPLETED):
Pre-register for a briefing through the UC Learning Center.
- Thu. 4/12/18, 9:00-10:00am, UCEN – SB Harbor Room, Max Occup. 80
- Thu 4/12/18, 2:00-3:00pm, HR Learning Center, Max Occup. 30 (Also offered as a Webinar)
- Fri. 4/13/18, 9:00-10:00am, UCEN – SB Harbor Room, Max Occup. 80
- Fri. 4/13/18, 2:00-3:00pm, HR Learning Center, Max Occup. 30 (Also offered as a Webinar)
- Mon. 4/16/18, 1:30-2:30pm, HR Learning Center, Max Occup. 30
- Thu. 4/19/18, 3:00-4:00pm, HR Learning Center, Max Occup. 30
Career Tracks Implementation Plans
- May 1: Monthly paid, exempt, career/contract employees
- May 6: Biweekly paid, non-exempt, career/contract employees
- July 1, Monthly & Biweekly paid, exempt & non-exempt, career/contract employees with an FLSA change
- September 2: Biweekly paid, non-exempt, career/contract employees transitioning to a represented title & limited appointment employees
- September 1: Monthly paid, exempt, career/contract employees transitioning to a represented title & limited appointment employees
TITLE UPLOAD TO PPS PAYROLL SYSTEM:
HR will centrally manage the title code changes in PPS (in collaboration with UCOP and local Payroll). The first wave of changes will occur the first week in May 2018. The 2nd wave will occur in early July. The 3rd wave will occur in early August.
TITLE CODE CHANGES TO JOB DESCRIPTIONS:
HR will centrally manage the necessary changes to job descriptions in the online job description system (OACIS). The first wave of JD changes will occur the first week in May 2018. The 2nd wave will occur in early July. The 3rd wave will occur in early August.
**Please download and print a new copy of your employee's job description and have them sign it for their personnel file.**
FLSA CODE CHANGES IN KRONOS:
For employees who will be impacted by a change in FLSA status, the KRONOS team will email special instructions in June to the departments on what needs to be changed in KRONOS.
PAY RATE ADJUSTMENTS IN PPS:
Some employees will receive a pay rate adjustment in PPS due to being brought to the new minimum of the salary range for their new title -or- to place them onto a step structure of a represented title. These salary adjustments need to be handled manually by the department payroll administrator according to the varying title change effective dates.
Career Tracks - Employee Reconsideration Period
The Employee Reconsideration Period closed effective 12/1/18. If you believe that your position should be reclassified, please consult with your supervisor or manager and follow the reclassification process for having your position reviewed.
May 1 - Nov 30, 2018: There was a period of reconsideration for employees who believed their position better aligned with a different Career Tracks title. Instructions were as follows:
- Consult with your manager to determine if there is new information or evidence to support reconsideration of the original Career Tracks title assigned.
- If the Manager and Control Point are in agreement, the Manager will complete a Change Request Form, include any necessary information (job description updates, organizational charts, etc.), and submit the completed request and justification to Human Resources. Note: this is the same process that was followed during the Manager Mapping Review, and is similar to ongoing classification approval practices.
- Formal Requests for change will be accepted between May 1- November 30, 2018.
- FLSA changes or a change into a represented title will be given priority; to ensure these are reviewed prior to implementation, these requests should be submitted to HR by June 15, 2018.
- Human Resources will review the new information, and in consult with the Manager, will determine if a different Career Tracks title better aligns with the position description.
- HR will provide formal documentation of the decision to the Manager to be provided to the employee, and a copy included in the employee file.
Systemwide Career Tracks
After several years of preparation, on-going consultation, and tremendous work by many employees across the campus and within Human Resources, we are pleased to announce that UCSB is in the final stages of implementing Career Tracks, the new classification framework for policy-covered staff at the University of California. During this time, Human Resources has worked closely with over 160 supervisors, managers, business officers, directors, assistant/associate vice chancellors, and divisional control points to ensure a smooth transition to the new Career Tracks framework. During the month of April, Human Resources will offer multiple workshops and webinars, open to all policy-covered staff, to explain the new classification framework and answer questions. Transition to Career Tracks will begin May 1, 2018.
What is Career Tracks?
Career Tracks is a new framework and job architecture that aligns jobs to respective labor markets by occupation. Career Tracks enables UC to define job titles consistently within each location and across the university. Levels for individual contributor, supervisory and management roles are defined consistently across occupations for comparable jobs. Career Tracks makes it easier for employees to identify and develop career paths and contains well defined job standards that will replace the outdated Series Concepts and Classification Specifications for policy-covered jobs.