TO: Campus Community
FR: Jim Corkill, Director, Controller, Business & Financial Services
Cindy Doherty, Director, Academic Personnel
Cynthia Señeriz, Director, Human Resources
RE: UCPath Important Reminders for Faculty, Staff, Student Workers, Academic Personnel
Several important reminders concerning W-2 statements are explained below.
Sign up for Your Electronic W-2
· If you have not already done so, the deadline for requesting an electronic W-2 for your 2018 tax information is January 18, 2019. Visit UCPath online and click on Employee Actions > Income and Taxes> Enroll to Receive Online W-2.
· If your current status says CONSENT RECEIVED, then you do not have to do anything – you’re already signed up for the electronic statement.
· Once you’ve signed up, all notifications pertaining to your W-2/W-2c will be sent to your preferred email address on file in the UCPath system. Reminder - UC does not send actual W-2 statements to employees by email or text. You must log in to UCPath online to view/download your electronic W-2.
· You may receive two W-2’s for 2018. This is due to the transition to the UCPath system in September 2018.
· W-2 statement from AYSO will cover your January – September 2018 paychecks
· W-2 statement from UCPath will cover your October - December 2018 paychecks.
W-2 Statements and Important Security Reminders
· UC does not send actual W-2 statements to employees by email or text. You must log in to UCPath online to view your electronic W-2 (if you enrolled to receive one). If you receive an email or text that has an attachment for viewing your W-2, it is a phishing scam designed to gain your private information.
· Scammers may also send emails with fraudulent links. Do not open any attachments or click on any email links.
· To access your electronic W-2 statement, always go directly to the UCPath online site using a safe/known link and log in.
Add/Update Your Personal Email Address and Home Address on UCPath
· It’s important to add or update your personal email in UCPath online, as well as review and/or update your home address.
· Please take a moment and log in to UCPath online and select Employee Actions > Personal Information > Personal Information Summary to review and/or update your emails and address. By doing this, you’re helping to ensure the timely delivery of information that may impact your personal data transactions.
· The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires employers to make reasonable efforts to obtain Social Security numbers for its employees and their spouses/domestic partners and dependents.
· Take a moment to log in to UCPath online to review and/or update your dependent information by selecting Employee Actions > Health and Welfare > Dependent Coverage in the Employee Actions menu. Please update by January 18, 2019.
1042-S Tax Forms
· International persons receiving wages from the University of California may receive either a W-2 or 1042-S (Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding).
· Please verify your email and home mailing addresses matches in both UCPath online and in the GLACIER tax database, to ensure that your 1042-S notification and/or form is sent to the correct email and home address. Additionally, you may select consent to have an electronic 1042-S sent to you via your GLACIER account. The deadline for requesting is January 18, 2019.
· To learn more about Form 1042-S, click here or https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1042-s.
Weekly UCPath Online Demonstrations
Beginning January 11, 2019, the UCPath Center will host live demonstrations of UCPath online. These one hour sessions are scheduled from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. (PDT) every Friday.
This training has four key objectives:
1. Understand what has transitioned to UCPath and what remains on AYSO
2. How to access UCPath (system requires single sign on and MFA authentication)
3. How to navigate UCPath online.
4. Demonstrate Employee Self Service functionality.
Demonstrations are limited to the first 500 participants.
Join Zoom Meeting
Dial by your location
+1 669 900 6833 US Toll or +1 646 876 9923 US Toll and Meeting ID: 578 608 466
Federal and State Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
· In accordance with the Earned Income Tax Credit Information Act, the university includes a notice with all Form W-2 statements notifying employees that they may be eligible for the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). The Earned Income Tax Credit, EITC or EIC, is a benefit for working people with low to moderate income. To qualify, you must meet certain requirements and file a tax return, even if you do not owe any tax or are not required to file. EITC reduces the amount of tax you owe and may give you a refund. To see if you qualify use the EITC Assistant, found here. Additional information regarding the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), can be obtained by referencing IRS Notice 797, or by contacting the Internal Revenue Service by calling 1-800-829-3676 or through its website at www.irs.gov.
· You also may be eligible to receive the California Earned Income Tax Credit (California EITC) starting with the calendar year 2015 tax year. The California EITC is a refundable state income tax credit for low-income working individuals and families. The California EITC is treated in the same manner as the federal EITC and generally will not be used to determine eligibility for welfare benefits under California law. To claim the California EITC, even if you do not owe California taxes, you must file a California income tax return and complete and attach the California EITC form (FTB 3514).
· For information on the availability of the credit, eligibility requirements, and how to obtain the necessary California forms and get help filing, contact the Franchise Tax Board at 1-800-852-5711 or through its web site atwww.ftb.ca.gov.
Claiming Exemption from Withholding
· The IRS requires you to complete a new W-4 form each year if you are claiming exemption from tax withholding. If you wish to claim exemption from withholding in 2019, you must make this choice on UCPath online before Feb. 15, 2019.
2019 Payroll Calendar
· Find the current UCPath payroll calendar under the Quick Links section on the front home page of UCPath. You can select Payroll Calendars & Schedule to view both biweekly and monthly calendars.
Have Questions or Need Help?
· Please visit UCPath and click on “Ask UCPath Center” to submit an inquiry. You may also call the UCPath Center at 855‐982‐7284 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (PDT) Monday – Friday and speak with an associate.