A Lateral Transfer is when one employee moves into another position of the same classification and level, usually a different budget provision. A Lateral Reclass is when an employee moves into a different position with a different classification but same level (same salary max), and they usually take their budget provision with them.
Processing a Lateral Transfer-
- The supervisor/manager submits an Update for the Job Description the employee is moving into. They will need to fill out the Briefly explain the basis for updating this Job Description: field on the Action Justification tab, explaining the purpose for a Lateral Transfer.
- They will also need to send an email to the Employment Manager explaining what they are doing.
- Compensation will approve/deny the Update.
Processing a Lateral Reclass-
1. The supervisor/manager submits a Reclass for the job description.
2. The Compensation Analyst follows the procedures for denying or approving a Reclass (no employment involvement is needed).