The University of California, Santa Barbara strives to provide the safest possible work environment; to protect key organizational assets such as people, property, and personal or other sensitive information; and to enable hiring authorities to make prudent employment decisions for career, limited appointment, contract, and student employee positions designated as critical based upon more comprehensive job-related information as consistent with Systemwide Personnel Policies for Staff Members - Policy 21.E: Background Checks (revised 2/3/17).
To support these efforts and to minimize risk to the University, a criminal history background check, which is conducted as a Universal (our University standard) or as a Live Scan background check, is required for the candidate recommended for hire into a critical position. An offer of employment must be contingent upon completion of a satisfactory criminal history background check.
Effective on June 1, 2020, Universal Background Screening replaced HireRight as our campus vendor for online, third-party background checks.
To place a Universal order for a non-TAM (Talent Acquisition Manager) hire:
- If the department does not have a Universal account:
- Complete the Background Check Processing Request. Note: This Google form has replaced the old Fingerpritnt Authorization Form A.
- Have the candidate complete the Authorization to Release Information for the employee's department records.
- Upon receipt of the completed Background Check Processing Request. Human Resources will place the Universal background check order.
- If the department has a Universal account:
- Login at https://portal7.universalbackground.com/
- Click on New
- Select e-Forms Invitation from the drop-down menu and complete the form
- Select Background Check Package - Standard Criminal Check (Note: Other packages are available only for clinicians and employees who have driving as a regular part of their job.)
- Complete all required fields, including Position/Job (=Position Number)
- Enter the Employee ID if the request is for an existing employee
To place a Universal order for a hire being processed in TAM (Talent Acquisition Manager):
- If the department has a Universal account, please initiate the Pre-Employment Check in TAM once the job offer has been accepted and follow the above steps after being redirected to the Universal site.
- If the department doesn't have a Univeral account, the department's recruiter will initiate the Pre-Employment Check in TAM.
Note: Live Scan California DOJ (Department of Justice)/FBI background checks continue to be required for the following positions only.
- Senior Management Group (SMG) positions
- Designated officials
- Positions with Career Tracks (CT) grade of M3 or M4
- Clinicians and child care workers
- Positions with master key access
- Positions which have the ability to cause physical harm to others
- Positions with significant check-writing authority and/or access to significant cash or cash equivalents (e.g., $10,000+; does not include cash drawers)
- Positions with universal access to personally identifying information
Required Forms for Live Scan (Fingerprint) Background Checks
- Background Check Processing Request (This Google form has replaced the old Fingerpritnt Authorization Form A.)
- Authorization to Release Information
- Request for Live Scan Services (Important Note: The Request for Live Scan Service form is only available from Human Resources. If the candidate/employee attends their appointment without this form in hand, the Live Scan operator can charge the candidate/employee for the full cost of the rolling fee plus the Live Scan processing fee.)
Live Scan Locations:
- A California city police or a California county sheriff's department. Click here for a "local" list. For other listings by county, visit: https://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/locations.
- UCSB-approved Mobile Live Scan Operator. Click here for details.
- Lori's Mobile Notary Services & Fingerprinting
For questions regarding the background check process, submit email to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information regarding background checks, please visit hr.ucsb.edu/employment/hiring/background-checks