Current Employees

Conflict Resolution

Informal Conflict Management

In informal conflict management, you may initiate a problem-solving process aimed at settling differences fairly, at an early stage, in an open manner, and as close as possible to the source of conflict.

Managers, supervisors and employees are encouraged to contact one or more of these employee support services for assistance in resolving conflicts:

Academic and Staff Assistance Program (ASAP) provides a variety of services to help you resolve personal or professional problems. To help you resolve conflict, ASAP staff offers facilitated conversations. A facilitated conversation uses an objective, non-judgmental facilitator to help individuals hear each other to move toward conflict resolution. Facilitated conversations are completely confidential on focused on problem solving with a mutually agreed upon outcome.

Office of the Ombuds. Assists the campus community with the informal resolution of any University-related complaint or conflict by offering a safe and confidential place to discuss workplace issues, interpersonal conflict, and many other problems.

Title IX/ Sexual Harassment Policy Office. Provides assistance in resolving and investigating complaints of discrimination and sexual harassment.

Employee & Labor Relations offers consultation services to employees to assess concerns and provide options for resolving the matter informally as well as information about the formal grievance or complaint process.

NOTE: Employees are not required to use informal conflict management and should be aware that attempts at informal conflict management do not extend the time limits for filing complaints or grievances.

Formal Conflict Management

When conflicts cannot be resolved through individual discussions, you may consider initiating a formal conflict management process by filing a complaint or grievance pursuant to Personnel Policies for Staff Members Policy 70 (for non-represented employees) or the grievance article of the applicable collective bargaining agreement for represented employees. Please be aware that most complaints or grievances must be submitted within 30 calendar days from the date you knew or should have known of the act that gave rise to the complaint or grievance. Employee & Labor Relations manages the formal conflict management process for employees. (Academic Student Employees should refer to their collective bargaining agreement for more specific information on filing requirements).

(Portions of this material are adapted, with permission, from UC Riverside’s Human Resources Web Site.)


When the information presented in this document or elsewhere on this site is in conflict with University policies, procedures or applicable collective bargaining agreements, the terms of those University policies, procedures and agreements shall govern.