Current Employees

Leaving UC Employment

Employees leave the University for many reasons, mostly voluntary.  Aside from voluntary resignation or retirement, there are several other separation actions related to the end of University employment, including probationary release, termination, layoff or medical separation.

Letter of Resignation

Please provide a written letter of resignation to your direct supervisor.

If you are retiring, submitting the retirement paperwork does not also terminate University employment. You must also submit a letter of resignation to the home department.

UC Benefits

The Office of the President provides a summary of options regarding your university benefits when leaving UC employment.  Most university benefits end on the last day of the month in which your employment ends. For example, if your last day of work is March 5, your health insurance will end on March 31. If you are eligible for and wish to continue medical/dental/legal coverage as a retiree, you must retire within 120 days of your separation from UC.

The Termination of Employment Benefits Factsheet explains how your benefits are affected when your UC employment ends. You may wish to go over this information with the Benefits Office to be sure that you have taken all necessary actions

Continue UC Health Insurance with COBRA

You and/or your eligible family members may be eligible to continue UC-sponsored coverage under COBRA (the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985). You have 60 days from the date you lose coverage by reason of a qualifying event (employment termination) or from the date you receive notice of your continuation rights, whichever is later, to apply for COBRA continuation.

COBRA continuation coverage is identical to the UC-sponsored health coverage you and/or your family members had immediately prior to qualifying for COBRA coverage except you pay the full cost; there is no UC contribution.

Covered California  is also an option you may want to consider for medical insurance. Covered California is an easy-to-use marketplace where most Californians can get health coverage that cannot be denied by health insurance companies or canceled if they are sick or have a pre-existing health condition.  Separating from UC will provide you with a “qualifying event” to enroll through Covered California.


Register with UCPath as a Former Employee

After you leave UC, you can continue to access your past UC earning statements and W-2 forms through UCPath online with former employee access. Click here to find out what you need to know. 

Return of University Property

Please return all University property in your possession, including keys, electronic key cards, phones, laptops, radios. Any University property, including documents and records that you have been allowed to take home should be returned prior to your last day of employment. If you have a University Corporate Card or FlexCard, that should be returned to your supervisor or department business officer.

University Electronic Resources

Where applicable, please provide passwords or otherwise grant access to University email, voicemail or any other electronic resources to insure continuity of University business operations. In some cases, access will not be required and the University will terminate email/other accounts as appropriate.

Parking Permits

Your parking permit must be returned to Transportation & Parking Services to be cancelled. The permit is considered to be in use while it remains in your possession. The end of University employment does not automatically terminate your parking permit or your obligation to pay the applicable fees.



When the information presented on this web page or elsewhere on this site is in conflict with University policies, procedures or applicable collective bargaining agreements, the terms of those University policies, procedures and agreements shall govern.