Payroll/Personnel System (PPS) training is mandatory for those who prepare and/or review personnel transactions and/or process payroll time reporting transactions online.* Regular PPS access is established after the trainee has completed all the training requirements for his/her area of responsiblity (see "Required Courses" table below).
Current PPS Preparers and PAN Reviewers are invited to re-take any of the courses for review purposes.
*PPS users who have had a break of two years or more from doing PPS entry work are required to re-take the Employee Database Update Lab and complete the homework.
To view the course dates and times, to view the online course descriptions, and to register, visit the UC Learning Center website (https://www.learningcenter.ucsb.edu/).
PPS User Types
- Preparer –Updates Employee DataBase (EDB) to change employee data in PPS (personal information, salary rate, etc.). May be assigned to process either Academic or Staff transactions, or both. Function may be as Primary or Backup Preparer.
- PAN Reviewer –Reviews Post Authorization Notifications (PAN) generated by the Preparer, providing a secondary check for correctness and appropriateness of transactions. May be assigned to review either Academic or Staff PANs, or both. Function may be as Mandatory or Backup Reviewer.
- Time Reporter –Enters time on pay status and other payroll transactions through the Payroll Time Reporting sub-system in PPS. May be assigned to process either Academic or Staff payroll transactions, or both.
- Inquiry Only--Can view details in PPS but not perform any actions.
Required Courses by PPS User Type
|PPS Courses||Time Reporter and/or Preparer||PAN Reviewer||Inquiry Only|
Employee Database Update Lab
|Online Time Reporting Lab||Required|
1. PPS training is offered on a quarterly basis. For dates and times, see the PPS Course Schedule.
BEFORE REGISTERING determine what your PPS User Type(s) will be (Preparer, Reviewer, Time Reporter, or Inquiry Only). Then review the chart of Required Courses By PPS User Type (see above tab) to determine which PPS classes/labs are required for your PPS User Type(s).
All required classes/labs must be attended in order to be given access to the PPS production site.
It is each individual’s responsibility to register for all of the required classes/labs for their PPS User Type(s).
2. If attending PPS classes for the first time OR changing departments, participant needs to complete a
Request for PPS Access Form (http://www.hr.ucsb.edu/sites/www.hr.ucsb.edu/files/forms/PPS_Request_for_Access_Form.pdf)
- Establishes unique PPS User ID # and password.
- Send completed form to Business & Financial Services, Mail Code 2044, or Fax to: Computing Support (x8682)
- Note: Participant must have a PPS User ID established before attending any of the PPS labs.
3. To enroll in any of the PPS classes please visit the UC Learning Center at: https://learningcenter.ucsb.edu
- Log in using your UCSB net ID and password
- Once logged in, enter PPS into the Search field.
- Register for all of the required classes for your PPS User Type(s).
- Click the Register button and follow the instructions
For detailed instructions on how to enroll in a class please refer to our QuickStart Guide for UC Learning Center.
Questions regarding PPS training? Please email Becky Ahern or call x-3482
Questions regarding PPS access? Please contact Business & Financial Services at x-2880.
PPS Log On Test
Due to the hands-on nature of the PPS labs, each attendee must have an active PPS User ID.
Everyone registered for the Employee Database Update Lab, is required to complete the Log On Test PRIOR TO THEIR LAB DATE. This Log On Test ensures that lab participants will be able to log in to the PPS Test Region during their lab time.
Any employee experiencing log on problems should contact Business & Financial Services at x-2880 at least 24 hours prior to their lab date.
PPS Course Descriptions
Courses are presented in the following sequence:
- PPS Basics
Accountability in using PPS. Basic PPS navigation. Staff and academic policies and procedures; web resources and where to find detailed information; common PPS actions and codes; who to contact for help.
Required for: Preparers, PAN Reviewers and Time Reporters, Inquiry Only
Duration: 3 hours
- Employee Database Update Lab
Demonstration of common staff and academic actions in PPS, followed by hands-on lab with instruction and practice for entry/update of personnel transactions in PPS Employee Database (EDB)
Required for: Preparers and PAN Reviewers, Time Reporters
Duration: 2 hours
Prerequisite: PPS Basics
NOTE: Includes homework exercises
- On-Line Time Reporting Lab
Hands-on on-line instruction and practice for on-line time reporting.
Required for: Time Reporters
Duration: 2 hours
Prerequisite: PPS Basics, PPS Actions